Canberra winter is coming to a close and the change of season brings with it the promise of fresh starts and new beginnings.

To our new and returning students, let me wish you a very warm welcome to our beautiful campus and good fortune on the next leg of your educational journey!

At UC, we are constantly striving to create an environment where our students not only learn well in the classroom but also experience life holistically through a range of sports, cultural and social opportunities. So I urge you to regularly lift your head out of your books and explore what else is available around you. To those who have come from abroad, Australia is an amazing country and a welcoming society. Please use this opportunity to explore this marvellous land and learn about its cultural riches.

This semester brings with it an invigorating excitement, with several key events dotting the calendar: Open Day, the University of Canberra Capitals season, the Office of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Leadership Strategy welcome, and the Graduation and Awards ceremonies. Such a wonderfully diverse range of events embodies what it truly means to be a part of the UC community.

I love to meet our students, so let’s say hello to each other the next time our paths cross. Here is an opportunity coming up next week:

I will make a brief presentation to students on UC’s next Strategic Plan at 11:30 am on Monday in the Refectory. I will focus especially on our exciting plans to position UC as a national leader in new models of work-integrated professional learning, student experience and employment. I hope to see many of you at this event. We will follow this with a barbeque for our students at noon on Monday. Let that be the occasion to meet and greet.

I look forward to seeing you on Monday.