Today marks exactly one year since I began as Vice-Chancellor of the University of Canberra. And what an enjoyable and eventful year it has been!

The University of Canberra Public Hospital has risen from its foundations and is quickly becoming a reference landmark on our campus – providing an exciting practical learning opportunity for students. The hospital will stand as a signature feature of UC’s rapidly growing Health Precinct.

We have entered several national and international partnerships – including the Australia-India Sports Partnership that will see UC play a key role in developing India’s performance in the international sports arena.

UC is now home to entrepreneurial hub E29@UC, our campus is now completely tobacco free, we’ve been ranked by WGEA as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equity for the 10th consecutive year, and we released UC’s sector-leading Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Strategy.

UC is now firmly entrenched amongst the world’s top 2% universities and in the world’s top 100 young universities.

From the moment I arrived at UC, I knew I had made the right decision. The warm welcome and wide smiles instantly made my family and I feel at home. I embarked on this journey with boundless optimism, and a year into the job, my enthusiasm has only become stronger.

On this day last year, I launched 100 Days of Listening, which turned out to be a great source of learning for me. Together with multiple town halls and other forums, this served as the bedrock from which an exciting Strategic Plan has emerged as our shared vision for the next 5 years of UC. The plan will set the University on course to serve as a powerful engine of our community’s economic and social development, deliver the benefits of its unique education around the world, become a hotbed of discovery and innovation, and create a unique living-learning ecosystem, The Educated Life.

I have a strong sense that an exciting and impactful journey lies ahead as we now begin to implement our shared strategy for UC. One key discovery for me over the past year has been that UC is a close-knit community with a passionate heart. I am looking forward to seeing us harness our collective ‘can do’ spirit to seize the considerable opportunities that lie ahead. It is time for us to get down to the task of writing the next chapter in the impressive story of our University.

Dear friends, it has been an honour and a lot of fun to travel with you over the past year and to be a witness to your ingenuity and hard work that is shaping the continuing rise of UC.

As we advance on this shared journey, let me invite you to share your own recent milestones and aspirations by commenting below.